The Bowen Technique activates the parasympathetic aspect of the autonomic nervous system, thus deeply stimulating the healing response to take effect. This is crucial in situations when healing has plateaued as a result of surgery, sickness, trauma and chronic stress.
What can be addressed:
- Back pain
- Neck restriction and neck pain
- Shoulder restriction and shoulder pain
- Elbow restriction and pain: Tennis elbow, golfers elbow etc.
- Wrist and hand conditions: Carpal tunnel syndrome etc.
- Hip, knee problems
- Ankle problems
- Foot problems: Cold feet, plantar fasciitis etc.
- Temporomandibular joint problems (TMJ): Clicking jaw, facial pain etc.
- Facial problems: Facial paralysis, Bells palsy etc.
- Palatal abnormalities
- Coccyx pain/ injuries
- Repetitive strain injury
- Digestive issues: Abdominal discomfort, indigestion, colic etc.
- Bowel problems: Diarrhea, constipation, IBS, diverticulitis etc.
- Menstrual and hormonal imbalances/irregularities: PMS, Menstrual problems etc.
- Gynaecological problems: Infertility, menopausal symptoms, ovarian/uterine problems etc.
- Bed wetting in children
- Pregnancy and post pregnancy pain
- Pelvic malalignment
- Leg length discrepancies
- Sports injuries
- Respiratory conditions: Asthma, bronchitis, diaphram tightness etc.
- Upper respiratory tract problems
- Groin strain/ pain
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Kidney/ bladder problems
This is not a complete list. Please contact Ananda Therapy if your condition is not listed above.
The Bowen Technique - Bowtech
The Bowen Technique is one of the fastest growing and most effective soft tissue modalities available. Originally created and developed by Thomas Ambrose Bowen in Australia in the 1950's.
The Bowen technique is a dynamic system of muscle and connective tissue therapy that deeply stiulates the body to heal. The Bowen Technique can effectively help with both chronic and acute conditions and is suitable for anyone regardless of age and health. It utilises unique movements applied over specific locations on the body. These movements are done over tendons, muscles, ligaments and nerves stimulating the body's autonomic nervous system (ANS) to respond accordingly. It effectively deals with dysfunctional patterns of muscle recruitment and postural imbalances that have developed over time as well as more recent injuries. The autonomic nervous system has an influence over 80% of bodily functions. The autonomic nervous system is easily disturbed by stress, both acute and chronic. The level of tension and tone in the soft tissue is ultimately controlled by the nervous system in the body, creating health or dysfunction in the body.
As well as balancing the autonomic nervous system, the moves and procedures performed in a Bowen treatment stimulates the self healing of the body through the following mechanisms:
- Joint proprioception
- Segmental viscerosomatic spinal reflexes
- Harmonic resonance
- Meridians and acupressure points
- Stretch reflexes
The Bowen Technique is hugely beneficial for newborns and infants. It is extremely gentle and effective, alleviating the stress and strains that the young body has to contend with. It can positively influence and help release the trauma experienced by the baby during the birth process, helping to rid the body of the birth trauma.
Baby Bowen helps with the following:
- Infatile Colic
- Unsettled and distressed babies
- Feeding problems
A course of four treatments of Baby Bowen is recommended. This can be supported by additional sessions if needed.